Moving Memories: Migration in Community Archives
Community Archives and Heritage Group’s Conference 2019
The Mitchell Library, Glasgow
Wednesday 10 July 2019
Call for Papers, Posters and Speakers
Archives and Record Association (UK and Ireland), Glasgow City Archives, and Scottish Council on Archives are delighted to announce a call for contributions to the Community Archives and Heritage Group’s Conference 2019. It is an annual celebration of the richness and diversity of community archives across the UK and Ireland, and this will be the first time the conference has been held in Scotland. The Conference provides the opportunity for volunteers, community groups and professionals to learn from one another, share their experience and create future working partnerships.
The conference theme will explore the many experiences and artefacts that record how migration has shaped communities in different ways: from remembering the many who set out across the globe in search of a better life in countries like Canada or Australia, to discovering the communities who have more recently arrived in the UK, from the Commonwealth, Europe and beyond.
We invite proposals for papers and presentations (15-20 minutes) on themes and subjects including, but not limited to, good examples of: practical measures taken to develop collections; digitization projects making your archive available online; exhibitions that showcase your archive; working with other local heritage groups on events; intergenerational projects and engaging younger people with their local environment or past.
During the day we also want to hear about the successes and challenges of maintaining a community group and giving you the opportunity to have your voice heard, ask questions and debate the needs of community archives. We want to hear from you, and it doesn’t need to link to the conference theme. if you or a collaboration:
- have a suggestion for a workshop or discussion and would be willing to help lead or contribute towards a session (typically 45 minutes)
- would like to display an A1 Poster, showcasing your heritage group. We can provide guidelines, templates and examples of posters, and will print it for you. It’s something for you to keep for other outreach events. Please contact us to discuss possibilities
- would like to take part in ‘One Minute Mayhem’ – a 60-second ‘soap-box’ opportunity to share your news and views on any aspect of community archives. It’s fun and informative
With your help, we will create an exciting and memorable day of talks and exchange plenty of ideas. We are keen to hear from both heritage professionals and grass-root members. Joint presentations are welcome. Please share this invitation to others who might be interested in sharing their experiences.
You can submit more than one idea. Presentation proposals should include a 100 word outline and your title. All proposals should provide contact information, Please email all proposals, or any questions to Audrey Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 March 2019.
CAHG Community Awards
The conference will also include the announcement of the winners of the CAHG Awards. The four categories are:
- Best Community Archive and Heritage Group of 2019
- Community Engagement
- Gathering and Preserving Heritage
- Most impactful involvement in a Heritage Project by Young People
Nominations are now open and will close on 31 March. Full details and entry forms can be found here.