Community Archives and Heritage Group Conference
We are delighted to announce that registration is now open for the Community Archives and Heritage Group’s (CAHG) 13th annual conference. This free day of presentations, workshops and poster displays will be held in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow on Wednesday 10 July 2019. Places will be limited and we recommend early booking to avoid disappointment!
The conference will be co-hosted by the Archives and Records Association (UK and Ireland), Glasgow City Archives and the Scottish Council on Archives and aims to provide a platform for volunteers, community groups and professionals to learn from one another, share experiences and create future working partnerships. This will be the first time the conference has been to Scotland and we hope you can join us to celebrate the richness and diversity of community archives across the UK and Ireland.
This year’s theme is on migration in community archives and will feature Dr Saqib Razzaq of Colourful Heritage as the conference’s keynote speaker. The provisional programme also currently features:
- Larysa Bolton and Dr Alexander Mitchell – Protest, pysanky and pechevo: scoping the archive of the Association of Ukrainian Women in Great Britain
- Caroline Catchpole (The National Archives) and Bette Baldwin (Clevedon Pier and Heritage Trust Community Archive) – Moving memories, moving data: manage your collections and Discovery
- Lorna Elms (Irish Community Archive Network) and Hazel Morrison-Pagett (Moycullen Heritage Group) – Bringing home the Irish diaspora: the community archive as conduit, connector and catalyst
- Catherine Gillies (Scottish Community Heritage Alliance) – We are all in it together!
- Mia Gubbay (Glasgow Museums) – Collecting around Kurdish cultural heritage: questions, challenges and experiences
- Harvey Kaplan (Scottish Jewish Archives Centre) – Documenting Jewish immigrants and refugees in Scotland: the work of the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre
- Don Gray and Dom Miller-Graham (OurStory Scotland) – Coming in: archiving stories of migration and identity in the LGBT+ community
- Jo Robson (The Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Education Trust) and Zara Hakobyan (Aratta) – Community-led collecting: Decentring the Power of the Archive
The day will also reveal the winners of the annual CAHG Awards and will be rounded up with a ‘One Minute Mayhem’ segment where delegates have a 60-second ‘soap-box’ opportunity to share their news and views on any aspect of community archives. Delegates can opt in to this during the registration process. There will also be an opportunity to attend a lunchtime show and tell of the treasures of Glasgow City Archives. Delegates can indicate their interest in attending this during registration but are advised to book early as places are limited. Lunch is also provided as part of the day and any dietary requirements can be noted during registration.
Finally, as part of this year’s conference, we are giving groups the opportunity to design and display their own A1 poster showcasing their activities and projects. We can provide guidelines, templates and examples of posters and will professionally print your poster for display during the conference. Your poster will be available after the conference for your group to use in future outreach events. You can register interest during sign-up.
You can sign up for the conference here. If you would like to attend the tour or one of the alternative sessions, please register for each.
|10.10||Keynote – Capture, Celebrate, Inspire: preserving our heritage by community engagement and participation
Dr Saqib Razzaq, Project Officer, Colourful Heritage
|10.40||Morning break (tea and coffee)|
|11.10||Documenting Jewish immigrants and refugees in Scotland: the work of the Scottish Jewish Archive Centre
Harvey L. Kaplan , Director, Scottish Jewish Archives Centre
|11.30||Moving Memories, Moving Data: manage your collections and Discovery
Caroline Catchpole, Digital Development Officer, The National Archives
|11.50||CAHG Awards: Introduction & Awards
Nick Barratt – Sticks Research Agency
11.55 Winner: Gathering Heritage
12.00 Winner: Young People
12.05 Winner: Community Engagement
12.10 Overall winner
|12.20||CAHG Annual Update
13.00-13.35 GCA Treasures Showcase – max. 25 people, to be booked separately
|13.40||Protest, pysanky and pechevo: scoping the archive of the Association of Ukrainian Women in Great Britain
Larysa Bolton & Dr Alexandra Mitchell,
Association of Ukrainian Women in Great Britain
|SESSION 1 Community-led collecting: Decentring the Power of the Archive
Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Education Trust
Jo Robson, Archivist, The Ahmed Iqbal Ullah Education Trust and Zara Hakobyan, Project Manager, Aratta
max. 20 people, to be booked separately
|14.05||Collecting around Kurdish cultural heritage: questions, challenges and experiences
Mia Gubbay, Glasgow Museums
|SESSION 2 Coming In: archiving stories of migration and identity in the LGBT+ community
Don Gray and Dom Miller-Graham, OurStory Scotland
max. 20 people, to be booked separately
|14.30||Bringing home the Irish diaspora: the community archive as conduit, connector and catalyst
Lorna Elms, Irish Community Archive Network &
Hazel Morrison-Pagett, Moycullen Heritage Group
|15.15||We are all in it together!
Catherine Gillies, Scottish Community Heritage Alliance
|15.35||One Minute Mayhem|