East Dunbartonshire Archives & Local Studies
|Phone||0141 777 3142|
Bearsden: 69 Drymen Road, Bearsden, G61 4RL
Kirkintilloch: William Patrick Library, 2-4 West High St, Kirkintilloch G66 1AD
Bearsden: Monday: 10-17:00
Kirkintilloch: Tuesday-Friday 10:00-17:00, late night opening Tuesday until 20:00 (by prior booking one week in advance).
- Lion Foundry Co Ltd 1874-1985 (GD10) - according to Historic Scotland this is the most complete collection of iron founding records in existence. Corporate records, 1893-1985; share records, 1893-1946; accounting and financial records, 1880-1967; legal and property records, 1880-1938; internal administration records, 1880-1937; production records (including drawings), 1880-1985; advertising and publicity records, c 1895-1980; staff and employment records, 1922-1983; reference material, c 1880-1980.
- Glasgow Garden Suburb Tenants Ltd 1911-1988 (GD315) - records of the first garden suburb built in Scotland, at Westerton near Bearsden. The collection includes the original architect’s drawings of the houses built in an Arts and Crafts style. Corporate records, 1911-1988; share records, 1912-1980; finance records, 1912-1986; tenancy records, 1912-1984; property records, 1912-1985, including architect's plans, 1912-1935; photographs, 1913.
- Gartshore and Woodhall Estates 1753-20th century ( GD101) – large estate records collection, the estates were purchased by the Whitelaw family in the 19th century and passed down through the family. Private letter books, estate ledgers, letter books, drawings and plans.
- Cadder Parochial Board / Parish Council - Poor Relief Records 1854-1930 (PC/4) – our most complete surviving collection of poor relief records. The collection includes applications for relief, general registers and children’s special registers and gives a fascinating insight into the lives of ordinary people. It is frequently consulted by family historians.
- James F McEwan, Railway Historian c 1823-1991 (T25) - Born in 1906, James F McEwan was one of the foremost authorities on Scottish railway history. This large collection includes photographs, historical papers, drawings, maps, timetables and ephemera.
Photograph of puffer boat 'Celt' at J & J Hay’s boatyard, Kirkintilloch (c1950s): This is a photog...
Lion Foundry worker and telephone kiosks (c1950-1960s): The photograph shows a foundry worker drill...